Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Rule of Law's Second Anniversary

I missed it.

Yesterday, was the second anniversary of my blog. In the last year my readership has increased, and I get many more inquiries directly from my blog. But, my perspective has not changed much, if at all, since I wrote my first anniversary post.

One of the things I enjoy most is writing comments about court cases. I now understand why law schools use the case law method to teach students. There is no better way of understanding law than in the context of actual cases, involving real people with real disputes. I like the fact that in my blog, I can link to the cases. My readers can read my perspective, but can also read the reasons for judgment in a case themselves. No doubt, their perspectives will differ from mine.

I also think that people who take the time to read the cases will get a sense of how good our judiciary in British Columbia is. In my experience, our judges are patient, consider all sides carefully, and are extremely bright. I find this is just as true in those cases where I disagree with the result as when I agree. I don't think that the commercial media in British Columbia always do a good job of giving people a sense of the high quality of work that our judges do. I hope my blog gives people a more in depth understanding of law and the courts in British Columbia.

I will try to remember my third anniversary.

No comments: