Thursday, May 18, 2006

Do they take Visa, Mastercard, or American Express in Heaven?

Jennifer Sawday has a hilarious post today in her California Estate Planning Practice Blog. She makes the point that it is important to cancel a deceased person's credit cards to prevent their fraudulent use. Jennifer then relates a conversation between the relative of a deceased person and a bank that is charging the deceased credit card holder interest and service charges accruing after death. I don't know if the conversation is fictional, real or real with some embellishments, but it rings too true to me. Read her post "Be Sure And Cancel Your Credit Cards Before You Die" here.

In my own practice, I admit I get some amusement from reading letters that collection agents for financial institutions occasionally send to deceased people threatening to wreak havoc with their credit ratings.

No comments: