Friday, March 31, 2006

British Columbia Housing Subsidy for Low Income Seniors Who Rent

Low income seniors who are renting in British Columbia may be eligible for a subsidy from B.C. Housing through the Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER) program. According to the B.C. Housing website:
You may be eligible for SAFER if you meet all of the following conditions:

Be 60 years of age or older
Pay rent for your residence
Pay more than 30% of your total income for rent
Not receiving Income Assistance
Be a Canadian Citizen or a Landed Immigrant
Have lived in BC for the full 12 months immediately preceding your date of application
Have lived continuously in Canada for at least 10 years as an adult. [This requirment will be removed.]
If you are eligible, SAFER may subsidize part of the rent that is over 30% of your income. The subsidy is calculated to give the most assistance to people with the least income.

You will not be eligible if any of following are true:

You live in subsidized housing or a residential care facility funded by the Ministry of Health.
You live in co-operative housing and are a shareholder.
You or your family receive a subsidy from income assistance through the Ministry of Employment and Income Assistance, excluding the Medical Services Plan.
You do not live in British Columbia.
You have not lived in Canada for 10 continuous years as an adult. [This requirment will be removed.]
You have not lived in British Columbia for the full 12 months immediately preceding your application.

The Website also says that to be eligible, your gross monthly income must not exceed the following:

If you live in the Greater Vancouver Regional District:
Singles $2,333
Couples $2,517
Shared $1,625

If you live in other areas of the Province:
Singles $2,033
Couples $2,217
Shared $1,625

For more information see the B.C. Housing website here.

The website also has a calculator, which you can use to calculate the amount of your subsidy if you are eligible here.

No comments: